The station has evolved from its beginnings as W1XAL in 1927, changing to WRUL in 1939, then WNYW (“Radio New York Worldwide”) in 1966 and to WYFR “Family Radio” in 1973. More of their history can be found on Wikipedia.
And their founder, Harold Camping has several times now incorrectly predicted the end of the World… wonder how long he knew WYFR would end???
Postscript: Radio Taiwan International use the facilities of WYFR for its broadcasts to North America. This has recently appeared on their web-site.
Starting from July 1st, RTI will end its shortwave broadcasts to North America due to drastic budget cuts. Meanwhile, our transmission to Mainland China from 0100 to 0200 UTC on MW 1422 will be suspended. In South Asia, from 1600 to 1700 UTC, transmission will be switched from 9440 KHz to 6180 KHz.
We apologize for any inconveniences that the changes may cause.
- End of the world for Oakland’s Family Radio? (mercurynews.com)
- Family Radio, the Christian Group That Wrongly Predicted the Rapture in 2011, is Slowly Going Under (patheos.com)
- Is the End Near For Harold Camping’s Family Radio? (allaccess.com)
- End of the line for Christian radio network that predicted 2011 rapture (richarddawkins.net)
- Harold Camping may be facing doomsday, but not the one he intended (religionnews.com)